Thursday, January 3, 2013

Born at Midnight by c.c. hunter (Shadow Falls #1)

Paperback, 398 pages
Published March 29th 2011 by St. Martin's Griffin (first published March 28th 2011)
ISBN: 0312624670 (ISBN13: 9780312624675)
"Don't miss this spectacular new series that will steal your heart and haunt your dreams. Welcome to Shadow Falls camp, nestled deep in the woods of a town called Fallen...." Taken from the back of the novel
C.C. Hunter lives in Spring, Texas where she's at work on her next Shadow Falls novel. ---> www.cchunterbooks.com
Summary:
One night Kylie Galen finds herself at the wrong party, with the wrong people, and it changes her life forever. Her mother ships her off to Shadow Falls—a camp for troubled teens, and within hours of arriving, it becomes painfully clear that her fellow campers aren’t just “troubled.” Here at Shadow Falls, vampires, werewolves, shapshifters, witches and fairies train side by side—learning to harness their powers, control their magic and live in the normal world.

Kylie’s never felt normal, but surely she doesn’t belong here with a bunch of paranormal freaks either. Or does she? They insist Kylie is one of them, and that she was brought here for a reason. As if life wasn’t complicated enough, enter Derek and Lucas. Derek’s a half-fae who’s determined to be her boyfriend, and Lucas is a smokin’ hot werewolf with whom Kylie shares a secret past. Both Derek and Lucas couldn’t be more different, but they both have a powerful hold on her heart.

Even though Kylie feels deeply uncertain about everything, one thing is becoming painfully clear—Shadow Falls is exactly where she belongs…
 
 
What I think and a few Quotes... 

I can't tell you how much I loved this book. I seriously laughed out loud so much while reading it-and my family can testify to that!
Okay, so basically this book has three major themes: discovering who you really are, love or lust and friends can change and won't always last forever. The last one's not as present as much as the other two though.
“I think he likes you" Miranda Whispered.
Realizing she and Derek had drawn attention, she glanced away. "He's probably just curious about me like everyone else" she whispered back.
"Nope. He's hot for you" Della said, reminding Kylie of the supernatural hearing of some of the campers. "When he was sitting by you at lunch, he oozed so much testosterone that it was hard to breathe. He wants your body" Della teased.

"Well, he's not getting it" Kylie said.” 
 

 Love=Derek
Lust=Lucas
Kylie is dealing with a super hard time right now. Her parents are getting a divorce but she doesn't understand why. (she finds out later in the novel though) Her supposed Ice Queen mom and 'perfect' dad (my eyes are rolling here) seemingly don't want her anymore and send her off to a camp for 'troubled' teens-which is really a camp for supernaturals. Through this a ghost plagues her night terror and her reality. At the camp she sorta discovers who she is-not what, and get's caught is a really well portrayed love triangle. (Lucas&Kylie&Derek)
Personally I'm team Derek all the way...well almost all the way. Hey rivers are really nice....
And although her ex Trey and her ex BFF Sara are in the book a bit, they don't really play a huge part in it. I liked that. Oh and Holiday is AMAZING and sweetie....are you blind? Burnett has the hots for you...... *shakes head it pity*
 “I mean, if your about to tell me something like I'm dead, that i need to start acquiring a taste for blood, and I can't even eat sushi, I wont be able to handle it. Or if you're going to tell me that I'm going to start howling at the moon, eating peoples cats, and will spend the rest of my life having to get waxed if I want to wear a bathing suit, then I don't think I can handle it, either. I like cats and I tried waxing once, and that hurt like a son of a gun." -Kylie”
I thought the cover was really fitting. Now I'm kinda digging deep here. Kylie is standing in the middle of a tree with a fork. Kinda like a fork in the road, yah know? It kinda symbolizes that things are gonna change and she's gonna have to choose-she can't have both. Mom or Dad. Old friends or new ones. Old LIFE or new one. To stay at the camp or go. Lucas or Derek. All of these are choices and yeah, tree in half, her in the middle. And besides that, it's just a really cool cover. I'm just little ol' me. Appreciating the deeper meaning.
So yeah. 4 Stars

Say Yes to the
Book
Oh yeah there are 4 more books in the series---> look on Goodreads guys!!

If you liked this, read these! ( no links)






















-Jackie

No comments:

Post a Comment