Thursday, March 21, 2013

The Raven Boys by Maggie Stiefvater

The Raven Boys (The Raven Cycle, #1)Hardcover, 409 pages

Published September 18th 2012 by Scholastic Press


ISBN: 0545424925 (ISBN13: 9780545424929)
Rating: 4.5 Stars
Summary:
 “There are only two reasons a non-seer would see a spirit on St. Mark’s Eve,” Neeve said. “Either you’re his true love . . . or you killed him.”
It is freezing in the churchyard, even before the dead arrive.

Every year, Blue Sargent stands next to her clairvoyant mother as the soon-to-be dead walk past. Blue herself never sees them—not until this year, when a boy emerges from the dark and speaks directly to her.

His name is Gansey, and Blue soon discovers that he is a rich student at Aglionby, the local private school. Blue has a policy of staying away from Aglionby boys. Known as Raven Boys, they can only mean trouble.

But Blue is drawn to Gansey, in a way she can’t entirely explain. He has it all—family money, good looks, devoted friends—but he’s looking for much more than that. He is on a quest that has encompassed three other Raven Boys: Adam, the scholarship student who resents all the privilege around him; Ronan, the fierce soul who ranges from anger to despair; and Noah, the taciturn watcher of the four, who notices many things but says very little.

For as long as she can remember, Blue has been warned that she will cause her true love to die. She never thought this would be a problem. But now, as her life becomes caught up in the strange and sinister world of the Raven Boys, she’s not so sure anymore.
Well, let's just start out with books make me make horrible decisions. I am so freaking tired right now. So much that you cannot, my dear reader, even comprehend. *yawns* (my face just fell in a bowl of yogurt if you're wondering) Okay, well I guess I better get to reviewing this book.
I loved it even though it confused the crap out of me. The whole obsession, half-dead people, boyfriends-who-are-not-boyfriends, and creepy teachers and relatives thing just messed me up. So basically this girls kiss kills. Its not poison or anything. When she kisses her twoo love, that is basically a prediction that he will die.
Who is going to die (or is already dead-ish)? Gansey. (You might think this is a 'oh that is such a spoiler' but, people, it's really not at all. Blue (awesome name by the way) is my favorite character by far in this book. She's a strong female lead and I like it. She doesn't take anyone's shit and speaks what she thinks. She does what she thinks is right.
I love the latin trees and all the AMAZING (I even spelled it right its so awesome) images she shows everybody. Mmmmm. Why in the world, Blue, are you with Adam. Okay so that might have been a teensy spoiler. Hey, I never said if she ended up with him. I just want her and Gansey together so bad. So bad. Even the trees are on my side! Even if I can't decide if I actually like Gansey yet. He's a bit of the...um...uptight-ish, richy, obsessed side. WITH GOOD INTENTIONS!
I have a sneaky feeling that Ronan is creepier that he lets on. And he seems to be letting a lot of creepy show. Pet raven anyone?
Well....let's just go with I have a feeling he'll make all the human sacrifice (yes, I did just type that) in this book seem minor. Ew. Fun stuff.
Grape juice for and looking glass and Butternut. Hehe
Anyway, I definitely recommend this.
 
 
      -Jackie 

No comments:

Post a Comment