Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea {Review}

Hardcover, 360 pages
Published August 15th 2013 by Dial
ISBN: 0803738897
Source: Kindle buying spree
Summary
You stop fearing the devil when you’re holding his hand…

Nothing much exciting rolls through Violet White’s sleepy, seaside town…until River West comes along. River rents the guesthouse behind Violet’s crumbling estate, and as eerie, grim things start to happen, Violet begins to wonder about the boy living in her backyard. Is River just a crooked-smiling liar with pretty eyes and a mysterious past? Or could he be something more? Violet’s grandmother always warned her about the Devil, but she never said he could be a dark-haired boy who takes naps in the sun, who likes coffee, who kisses you in a cemetery...who makes you want to kiss back. Violet’s already so knee-deep in love, she can’t see straight. And that’s just how River likes it.

Blending faded decadence and the thrilling dread of gothic horror, April Genevieve Tucholke weaves a dreamy, twisting contemporary romance, as gorgeously told as it is terrifying—a debut to watch.

Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea is a stunning debut that will leave the reading breathless and begging for more of  April Genevieve Tucholke's seemingly magical, mysterious and downright haunting writing. The way she writes has an eerie and timeless feel that will leave the reader enchanted and undoubtedly finding themselves entwined with River and Violet's tale.

This is the most anticipated book of 2013. Don't deny it. Everyone wants it and you're worried it won't live up to the hype. Well, I'm here to squash those pesky worries of yours like bugs. The way April writes makes the words float off the page. Her style automatically, and I mean right off the bat, gives you the shivers and transports you into Violet's sleepy world. As the reader, you are plunged into a small town with a small town feel. 

Violet and her brother's artistic parents take off for Europe to pursue a colorful passion, leaving them at their late grandmother's estate to fend for themselves. They've gone broke. More like four leaps past broke. Violet decides to rent out the guesthouse (I told you it was an estate) for more income and just a little while later the utterly handsome and insanely mysterious River comes to stay. River's a compulsive liar. I'm pretty sure everything that comes out of his mouth is his interpretation on a much more normal life.  Well, okay, he did tell the truth about a few things. But the majority, come on  people. Of course, will this handsome liar comes a secret and deep as the ocean itself and nearly as dangerous. 

“Lots of people have bad stories, and if they wail and sob and tell their story to anyone who’ll listen, it’s crap. Or half crap, at least.The stuff that really hurts people, the stuff that almost breaks them . . . that they won’t talk about. Ever.”

River is really a extremely complex character. As I've previously stated, he compulsively lies. Not only that but the power inside of him is eating at him. There has been no one before Violet so he has no idea what to do with himself. Yes, he is falling for her...or is he? You really can't tell with his excessive mood changes and strange powers of persuasion.  I think he is. But you'll have to decide for yourself when you read the book. 

Honestly, he's passionate and strange and deadly and beautiful. That's what makes River River. His need to be the justice that strikes you down or holds you up defines him. It's who he is. His need to save the good and punish the evil isn't going to change, but if the power continues to consume him and lead him toward the path of insanity, there will be nothing let and even the one person who owns his heart won't be able to save him. 

Now as for Violet, she is just so awesome. Heck, she loved the story A Rose For Emily and that things is as creepy as hell. Those of you who've read it know exactly what I'm talking about. But she found it to be the definition of true love. She drinks coffee on her toes, wears old clothes and is simply her. She doesn't care what people think about her and she just simply is. When River reveals his secret to her she wants to hate him but just can't bring herself to. 

She had already fallen too far.

Through everything, all the lies and as she unfold his tale, releasing his demons and falling deeper into his tangled web, she wants to save him from himself. With him, she find secrets about her grandmother's past that have everything to do with what's happening. History has a talent for repeating itself. 

The climax was like wow. Yup. I can't say much about that except I'll be looking over my shoulder for a while. 

Also, I know I should hate the ending (and I love who's in the guesthouse by the way. Violet can have River, I want him) but I love it. Why? You'll just have to read it for yourself. 


Jackie  

6 comments:

  1. I lOVED THE BOOK! I'm glad you enjoyed it too. And get your hands off the guesthouse man, he's mine :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Meee too! And hon, I totally called dibs ;D
      Jackie

      Delete
  2. I NEED TO GET THIS NOW! I've been debating for SO LONG because of all the mixed reviews, but after reading this I know I just have to get it now. I want to find out about River: who he is and what he's hiding. I need to find out what happens at the end of the book and who's in the guesthouse! Ah! I'm so excited now!
    Fantastic review, Jackie :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES YOU DO!!! And honey, River is hiding A LOT. And I mean A Lot. Hope you love it <3
      Happy reading
      Jackie

      Delete
  3. YES! I totally agree with everything you said! This was such a beautifully written, magical and enchanting story and I loved the eerie atmosphere and mystery! Such a wonderful debut novel, I can't wait to read more of Tucholke's books! I would really love to know what happens next, and if these characters will reunite at one point, the ending blew me away! Thanks for this fabulous review, sweetie!

    Evie @Bookish

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't WAIT for the next book, I mean if she can do this to me with a debut...imagine now that she's had time to evolve her writing...*happy dance*
      Thanks for stopping by, Evie!
      Jackie

      Delete