Saturday, November 23, 2013

The Girl in the Clockwork Collar by Kady Cross {Review}

The Girl in the Clockwork Collar by Kady Cross
416 pages
Published May 22nd 2012 
Harlequin Teen 
Steampunk Chronicles #2
Source: Library   

Summary

In New York City, 1897, life has never been more thrilling-or dangerous Finley Jayne and her "straynge band of mysfits" have journeyed from London to America to rescue their friend Jasper from the clutches of a devious criminal demanding a trade-the dangerous device Jasper stole from him...for the life of the girl Jasper loves. One false move from Jasper, and the strange clockwork collar around Mei's neck tightens and tightens. From the rough streets of lower Manhattan to elegant Fifth Avenue, the motley crew of teens follows Jasper's elusive trail. And they're about to discover how far they'll go for friendship. More than ever, Finley must rely on powerful English duke Griffin King to balance her dark magic with her good side. Yet Griffin is at war with himself over his secret attraction to Finley...and will risk his life and reputation to save her. Now, to help those she's come to care for so deeply, Finley must infiltrate the criminal gang. Only problem is, she might like the dark side a little too much....
 

 


Kady Cross intends to stun us again with the next installment of her breathtaking 1800s steampunk series. In reality, The Girl in the Clockwork Collar just didn't compare to the first book, The Girl in the Steel Corset. The Girl in the Steel Corset amazed me with the beautifully depicted setting and colorful characters and the oh-so-very-cool gadgetry. Where Steel Corset drew me in, Clockwork Collar fell flat.  
 
In book two, we are exactly where we left off. Griffin, Finley, Sam and Emil are off to save Jasper from the law. They're off to America. Where in America? New York. Shortly after arriving, the band of awesome people discover that it was not the law that took Jasper, but something much more sinister. Finley, in her typical Finley manner, runs off to find him (almost) by herself. She has Emily also. After this, its a whirlwind of posh New York lifestyle, robberies, an odd almost love...triangle? Square? 
 
In truth, I'm going to have to agree with Octaiva when she says that this is much of a first novel feel than a second novel. In a second novel, you expect the characters to grow a bit. They just didn't. We got to understand them some more and they...revealed? themselves a bit more in Clockwork Collar. 
Here's my biggest complaint with this: Finley was so torn between guys and her good/evil sides in this book that I was tempted to throw the library book (I didn't). She was all like ' Should I like him...I think I do...NO I CAN'T!!!..Oh Dandy *sigh* But then there's Griffin *sigh* What is a girl to do....Yup going with Griffin..nah..Dandy.' And I was all like:
(I'm on Team Griffin, by the way) ..... (but Jack Dandy is awesomesauce)

Oh...and I'm reading the next book. *runs to hide* I'm sorry but I have got to know who she ends up with (I really hope it's Griffin) and I.....

Don't judge me.
 
Also, there's a new villain in the mix that I kinda adore. Not like I think he's my new book boyfriend or anything..I wouldn't do that to Griffin, but I really liked the character development in his character. Also, there's a character I would love to beat bloody in this book..I was pretty much cheering Finley on with her hatred and determination to..well..beat this character bloody...on this certain character.  
 

Quotable Quotes


“She refused to leave your side all bloody night", Sam remarked, with something that sounded like respect.
"She's a good friend," Griffin replied.

His old friend stared at him in amused disgust. "Griff, I'm your friend and even I wasn't about to sit here and watch you heal."

Griffin looked away, annoyed by the sudden heat in his cheeks. "Yes, well, she was a much prettier sight to wake up to than your ugly head."
"I'll have you know I've been told my eyes are like a night sky," came the mock-indignant reply.” 
 
  “You know what, Em? You’re the only one of us Finley hasn’t hit.”
The Irish girl stared at him. “I haven’t given her a reason, now, have I?”
“Can we talk about something other than who Finley has and hasn’t punched and why?” Griffin asked-somewhat testily.
 
 “I bet he’s never met a gal like you before.”
“I should hope not,” she replied gibly, but heat filled her cheeks. “Nature couldn’t possibly make two mistakes like me.”
“You’re not a mistake. Don’t you ever think of yourself that way. You’re exactly as you ought to be.”
 
“The two of you are the most bloodthirsty wenches I’ve ever met.”
“Do you like it?” Finley asked, squeezing his arm before releasing it.
He turned to her, his eyes bright. Was it just the reflection of the sun that gave them such warmth or something from within?
“I love it,” he said.
 
 


Happy reading
Jackie 

4 comments:

  1. I've been wanting to start this series for a while, but it sounds like I'd like the first way better than this one.
    "' Should I like him...I think I do...NO I CAN'T!!!..Oh Dandy *sigh* But then there's Griffin *sigh* What is a girl to do....Yup going with Griffin..nah..Dandy." Yup, the gif says it all. Haha, that would seriously annoy the crap out of me. Hope the 3rd's better for you! Great review. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really does...and you really would! I still cannot wait to get my hands on the third one!! Thanks for stopping by :D
      Happy reading
      Jackie

      Delete
  2. Here's what I'll tell you. I really did not like book one very much. I liked this book more. The third book? LOVED IT. Such a step up from the previous two books. So, I encourage you to read the third book, and with an open mind. It's really, really great!

    Alyssa @ The Eater of Books!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YAY! This is good! This gives me hope(:
      Happy reading
      Jackie

      Delete