Monday, July 10, 2017

#ARC Review || Can't Stop Lovin' You by Lynnette Austin

Can't Stop Lovin' You by Lynette Austin
Amazon || Goodreads
(re)Published July 25, 2017
ARC via Publisher + NetGalley

THERE'S NO PLACE LIKE HOME 

Maggie Sullivan can't wait to get out of Texas. Luckily, she just got the break she needed to make her big-city dreams a reality. But then Brawley Odell swaggers back into Maverick Junction, looking hotter than ever in his dusty cowboy boots and well-worn jeans. He's the guy she still dreams of at night. The guy who broke her heart when he left her behind.

Fed up with city life, Brawley jumps at the chance to return home and take over the local vet's practice-and get back to the smart, sassy woman he's never been able forget. He couldn't be prouder of Maggie's new wedding-dress business... until he realizes it may mean losing her all over again. Determined to win her back, Brawley must find a way to convince Maggie that their one true home is with each other.




Confession: I, from my fingertips to my toes, hate Brawley Odell with the heat of a thousand suns. I could give you a thousand reasons. I could even give you a brief Twitter rant that occurred when my frustration at his idiocy boiled over. However, I’ll leave you with this: when you give someone your heart and when you’ve gotten their heart to hold in return, don’t treat it like trash and believe that you are doing what is best for them. Why? You’re not doing it for them no matter now you try to twist the words to fool yourself into thinking you did the right thing. No, what you said and did was done out of selfishness. Never should you ever expect for things to be normal, or expect them to wait for you.

That’s even more stupid and offensive than throwing their heart away in the first place.

I’m sure you can hear me scoffing through the electronic screen you’re currently reading this on.

You, dear reader, may even think I hated this book. Well, I didn’t. There were certainly things I liked less (substantially less) than others, but I hate the situation. Not the book itself. Honestly, as much as I hate Brawley, I loved Maggie Sullivan.

(that’s the woman who he treated like something the cat dragged in, by the way.)

Maggie is fire. Ten years ago she got her heart hurt. Since then, she has picked up the pieces and sewn them back together. She has built a fashion empire, and has been invited to New York to do a fashion show. She’s going to show her exclusive line to people who’ve got money to burn.

Then he shows up. He makes her remember the pain of her past, and that kind of messes her up a bit. However, Maggie being the queen that she is doesn’t let him back in. She stays true to herself, allows herself to indulge in the present, and continues to pursue her dream despite the fact that he will just not flipping go away.

The summation of the previous words: Maggie is wonderful and Brawley is The Worst. And I’m good at holding grudges so don’t expect me to like the man-child any more tomorrow. Or the day after.

A few more minor character: I loved Maggie’s friends. The ladies who were apparently at the center of the previous two books are amazing. They’re supportive and understanding. Love. Love. Loooooove.

Lastly, there is one more thing that I wish I could have seen. Okay there are two. I want to know more about the photographer from New York. I also wish there was a prologue. I was confused out of my ever-living mind. I didn’t know what was going on. It felt a little sudden and I felt out of place. Not especially a good way to begin the book.

Final thoughts? I wish I could punch Brawley and give Maggie a crown. I didn’t love the ending, but I loved Maggie. The stars I’m giving this book are for her.



1 comment: